Wednesday, December 26, 2012

When It's Time to Move On...


This Sunday, Dec. 30th will be my last Sunday at BranchCreek Community Church.

I can’t tell you how excited I am excited about what God is doing at BranchCreek as they join the LCBC family! I have been honored to interact with some amazing people through this journey, especially Matt Goss and Phil Schwartz.  In getting to know them and listening to them share their hearts, it is clear that the music ministry at LCBC is strong and vibrant with gifted leaders that care deeply about their teams.

As I thought about where I might fit in the new landscape, God began revealing that my leadership gifts are desperately needed in other local churches.  So I faced a really difficult decision:  I really wanted to be a part of LCBC and all that God is doing.  The leadership, staff and vision are exactly what I’m all about!  But there are no opportunities for me to use my gifts and calling leading and facilitating worship–now or in the future.  In fact, taking a technical director or producer position at LCBC would mean that I might never sing in the church again!  

That didn’t feel like God’s plan for my life.  What made more sense was pursuing my gifts and calling as a Worship Pastor; stepping out in faith knowing that God has something for me in the future . . . even if I don’t yet know what that looks like.

The decision was hard.  I mean really hard.  But just like Saul and Barnbaus in Acts 13,  God sometimes calls us out of a really good situation to further His work and fulfill His purposes.  While leaving is painful, I cling to the hope that God has work for me to do, and I’m honored to be His instrument.

I’ve been leading worship at BranchCreek for over 9 years.  I have learned so much under Dave Detwiler’s gracious leadership.  He’s been a true friend and mentor.  He has watched  me grow from a self-centered, hot-headed worship leader into a someone that strives to die to himself every day and simply live in obedience to God. 

I love my BranchCreek and LCBC family! I will miss them so much!  From the very beginning, they have been warm and welcoming.  I've enjoyed the interactions around the table at staff meeting, the friendly and encouraging e-mail exchanges and all the great relationships I've made along the way.  It has been a joy, honor and privilege to serve alongside them!

I can’t wait to share all that I’ve learned at BranchCreek wherever God leads me next!

“Beginning empty-handed and alone frightens the best of men. It also speaks volumes of just how sure they are that God is with them.”  Gene Edwards, "Tale of Three Kings"

No comments: